Essay Editing: Top 10 Mistakes in Essay That Make Your Teacher Grumpy
It seems like everything is perfect – you wrote an essay that is five-paragraph long, has a certain structure, kinda answers a stated question, and yet your teacher looks like a popular dwarf from The Snow White movie when returning it to you. In order to be successful, you not only have to follow writing guidelines, but you need to understand your teacher’s thoughts, too. Try to think objectively.
Your teacher has checked and graded thousands of essays in his career, and certainly developed a list of typical mistakes that he marks automatically. Do you know what the best Christmas present is for your teacher? A great, mistakes-free essay paper. Go for it!
Essay Editing Typical Mistakes Include:
- Misspelled words. MS Word processor usually narrows this problem to the minimum by using the favorite red underlining that tells you are mistacen… I mean, mistaken. In handwritten texts this error occurs more often. Be nice to your teachers. Proofread, please.
- Editorial issues. Here’s something that even MS Word processor can not track. Words that sound alike but differ in writing. You wrote “weather” instead of “whether”, and still complain about mean and prejudiced teachers? Well, pay attention next time.
- Passive voice. When writing these tips, we examined about a dozen web-sites with teachers’ feedback on essays. This mistake is among top three. More people make it more often, than any other error in the writing. “To be” verbs are the weakest verbs in the English language. This statement doesn’t mean that you have to completely eliminate passive voice in essay writing. Just narrow it down.
- Contractions. Don’t yo’u us’e contractions in essay writing. They frustrate teachers. Contractions are not appropriate; therefore, use “do not” instead of “don’t”.
- Punctuation. The fact that you are familiar with commas, colons and semicolons is not a reason to put them after every three words. Lack of punctuation shows illiteracy. Too many punctuation marks can be regarded as obnoxious signs of showing off.
- Grammar mistakes. Some of the most common writing mistakes involve tricky grammatical rules. Often students fail in using affect/effect words. To affect is to influence. Effect is a noun that means a result. That vs. which is a common mistake, too. Proofreading and editing essays will help you eliminate these mistakes.
- Faulty parallelism. When two elements of a sentence are similar in meaning, you should express them in parallel form; therefore, all of the linked words should be in the same form. You are saying that you “want financial independence and to find love?” The thing you will not find for sure after a sentence like this is an A+ on your essay paper.
- Showing off. Using lo-o-ong sentences and pathetic words where they are not necessary will cause a smile on a teacher’s face. And a minus mark on your paper.
- Poor diction. On the other hand, maintain a consistently professional tone throughout your written work will prevent you from using clichés, or “basically”, “totally”, and “hopefully” words that once made your teacher laugh, but now cause an unhappy grin on his face.
- Misspelling your teacher’s name. No comments.
Custom essays are the most common academic paper that looks might seem easy to writer. Our free tips will help you to get through any kind of essays. Still, if you are stuck on writing, you can always ask us https://topwritingcompanies.com/essayhub-com-review/ for help!