aerkiaga's blog

Progress report on my projects

There's a chance you know about the electric-hydraulic anlogy. An analogy between two fields I happen to need, in combination, in two of my projects... Now, I've got an exam on neurology and cardiology next week. Apparently unrelated, huh?

What if I show you this article related to neurology? Or this one to cardiology (no, that graph is not from a half-wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor). Or this whole bunch of literal circuit diagrams taken straight out from medical-related publications? See the pattern now?

Well, this is the simple fact that both engineers and nature look for solutions to fight the very same physical laws (also scientists don't like reinventing the wheel). And this week I'm studying all these four “similar” subjects; isn't that terribly beautiful? :D

By the way, I'm much less interested in those four than I am in the psychiatry-computer science duo; and I might be forcing the analogy at this point, but I want to believe it's no coincidence that I want to become a psychiatrist... Deep Learning, anybody? Anyway, don't mind my ramblings ;)

This week, after having previously contacted them, I sent an e-mail to the FSFE translators mailing list with a list of changes to help correct the faulty spanish translation of their PM/PC Open Letter. I hope their campaign ends up being successful!

My Big Project is related to the field of biotechnology. I need to make it reliable for critical applications, while still being open to flexible use. One particular problem I've faced is storage: how can I implement an atomic, consistent filesystem that's still dead simple and standard? Well, I've been working a bit on that front. I want to create a protocol that's verified by automated proof and then show it to people that might also find it useful.

And, last but not least, I've made the decision that I want to participate in GSOC 2022, as, for the first time, it allows non-CS students to get onboard! I've read the rules and everything, but I'm worried that my being a med student will get my proposal turned down... Oh, yes, I only intend to send one, to this organization (provided they even participate...). I've been reading their source code this week so at least I get a head start; I'll need to set up a computational chemistry workflow though.

This week has been marked by productivity; that, and bad sleep. I ...

  • ... published Nodeverse 0.1.6 with many bug fixes. One of them had been reported back in August!
  • ... sent three pull requests to the engine developers. Two of them are related to API documentation, and one has already been merged. I tend to follow engine development very closely.
  • ... started this blog, obviously :)
  • ... learned more about AC circuits. I'll need that knowledge for the printer, but especially for the Big Project (it needs several RF dielectric spectroscopy circuits).
  • ... bought many presents for my relatives and friends! Yay!
  • ... made a visit to someone in a different city. Sorry, no details on this.

Did I mention I have a final exam tomorrow? Yeah... It's about this. Not my cup of tea, not terribly complicated either; I could probably have studied more if I hadn't done any of the above things :/ Or if I had studied at all before this week. But, y'know, procrastination... Of the productive kind.

Well, there's some good news too. The new 3d printer has arrived, so hopefully I will start using it in the coming days.

Also, Nodeverse is becoming much more popular. Now over 1600 downloads, it got its first positive review, stating that it “needs some work, but we could be looking at the next No Man's Sky”! Not sure about the last part, but I sure will put that work in. The game currently appears on the first page of the ContentDB “Top Games” list... which is only 3 pages long anyway, but hey, that's something!

The New Year is already here, and nothing can make a year as memorable as, well... writing everything down!

I'm Aritz Erkiaga, currently a Medicine student at the University of the Basque Country. But, for someone as curious as me, learning and making are unavoidable side quests, so as projects come and go, I'll keep track of my progress around them here.

As of right now, in the middle of the exam period, there are three main creative projects behind my procrastination: * Nodeverse, a space exploration game inspired by No Man's Sky, but with voxel mechanics. * An open-source printer; it started as a proposal by a social network user, then evolved into a project involving multiple people... Although only I seem to be working on it at the moment. * Something else :) A big, big project that I expect to talk more about in the future.